Monitoring Windows Azure

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi,

is there any way to monitor Windows Azure based services?

Our idea is to implement HTTP tests to monitor the service but we need to monitor also the servers (Worker Role, Server Role), CPU Usage, Memory,...; and also storage usage.

There is not a direct way to monitor via Sensor (like Amazon CloudWatch).

You can't monitor it using via HTML/REST Sensor because you can't specify certiain values in the header.

Do you have in your roadmap to implement Azure Services monitoring?

Thanks in advance.

prtg9 snmp wmi

Created on Jan 11, 2012 9:05:38 AM by  Santiago Estepa (0) 1

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Yes, there is a custom sensor available on Google Code

"This sensor Gets the XML result from a Service Management Resource of an Azure account. "

Set up is a little tricky due to the use of certificates in the Azure cloud.

Created on Feb 9, 2012 9:27:24 AM by  Dirk Paessler [CEO Paessler AG] (11,093) 3 4

4 Replies

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

I am not aware of a monitoring API provided by the Azure Cloud to get hypervisor based "external" metrics of virtual machines there (like e.g. CloudWatch). If such an API becomes available we will be happy to create such a sensor.

You can of course use all standard sensors of PRTG to monitor services inside the Azure Cloud just like you can monitor any other server/service.

Created on Jan 11, 2012 3:04:31 PM by  Dirk Paessler [CEO Paessler AG] (11,093) 3 4

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hello,

thanks in advance for your quick answer.

Microsoft has a public REST API to monitor Windows Azure. The information is at the following link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/ff800682.aspx

Sending a GET request with certain content header variables gets a response with an XML, which informs the state of deployed platform elements.

I am doing tests with "HTTP XML/REST Value" sensor but I can't specify in the query any content header values that are necesary to receive the XML.

¿Is there a way to specify those values in the header thru that sensor?

Thanks

Created on Jan 12, 2012 10:29:18 AM by  Santiago Estepa (0) 1

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi Santiago,

What exact (name and value) http headers are needed here? If you can provide me with that information, we can do some one-on-one testing.

You can send this to my personal email address, to be found here in the left pane under "send an email".

Regards,

Created on Jan 12, 2012 8:13:02 PM by  PRTGToolsFamily (5,544) 3 2

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Yes, there is a custom sensor available on Google Code

"This sensor Gets the XML result from a Service Management Resource of an Azure account. "

Set up is a little tricky due to the use of certificates in the Azure cloud.

Created on Feb 9, 2012 9:27:24 AM by  Dirk Paessler [CEO Paessler AG] (11,093) 3 4

Please log in or register to enter your reply.

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.

PRTG
Network Monitor
Intuitive to Use.
Easy to manage.

150.000 administrators have chosen PRTG to monitor their network. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Visit
www.paessler.com

What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general. You are invited to get involved by asking and answering questions!

Learn more

Top Tags

View all Tags